- 1 What does the Drill do in Enter The Gungeon?
- 2 Is the Drill a good item in Enter The Gungeon?
- 3 Best Synergy for the Drill in Enter The Gungeon
- 4 How to Unlock the Drill in Enter the Gungeon?
- 5 How to Use the Drill in Enter The Gungeon?
- 6 Conclusion
What does the Drill do in Enter The Gungeon?
The Drill is a D-rank active item that was part of the PAYDAY 2 promotional stint for Enter the Gungeon. The Drill can be considered a very good key substitute that can unlock chests, locked doors, or trapdoors for free.
However, you can not automatically unlock chests with the Drill. Instead, you need to complete a quick gauntlet match against random enemies that come in one to five waves. Completing the challenge will unlock the chest you used the Drill on.
Yes. The Drill is a very powerful item that can unlock almost any type of chest or door that requires a key in the Gungeon. Of course, as mentioned above, you need to complete and survive a quick challenge against waves of enemies to open chests, but successfully doing so will let you unlock the chest and take the item inside for free.
Enter the Gungeon is all about the loot, and with most powerful loot hidden within locked chests, having an alternative way of opening these chests for free can help equip you for the later stages of the Gungeon quickly.
There are no known Synergies for the Drill in Enter the Gungeon.
The Drill can be unlocked in two ways in Enter the Gungeon – stealing from the shop or by forcing the shopkeeper to close his shop.
Note that you only have the ‘unlock’ the Drill, not necessarily acquire it. The Drill costs 9999 Bronze Shells at the shop after you successfully unlock it. s
You can steal the Drill from the shop with the help of a few items in Enter the Gungeon. These are:
- Aged Bell
- Chaff Grenade
- Charm Horn
- Directional Pad (grappling hook)
- Explosive Decoy
- Grappling Hook
- Grey Mauser
- Smoke Bomb
- Ring of Ethereal Form
- The Predator
However, take note that you will increase your Curse by 1 point and you will only have a few seconds to steal the Drill after using any of the above items at the shop.
Another way to unlock the Drill in Enter the Gungeon is by forcing the shopkeeper to close shop. You can do this in three different ways:
- Firing a gun in the shop a few times.
- Failing to steal an item.
- Luring the Lord of the Jammed into the shop.
The Drill is a fairly straightforward item to use in Enter the Gungeon. All you have to do is to use it on any normal chest, door, or trapdoor in the Gungeon. When used on a chest, just prepare to face waves of enemies in an alternate room.s
With that said, there are some important exceptions that you need to remember to make sure you don’t encounter any problems when using the item in-game.
- Obtaining the Drill will increase your chances of finding the other two PAYDAY 2-themed items in the Gungeon.
- The number of waves you face is directly related to the quality of the chest you are trying to open. Maximum of 5 waves for S-tier chests.
- The Drill cannot be used on chests that spawn after clearing the enemy waves.
- The Drill cannot open chests that specifically require the use of a Gnawed Key.
- The Drill can open but cannot access Brother Albern’s chest without speaking to him first.
- You cannot destroy chests after using the Drill on them.
- The Drill cannot open chests that The Pilot’s Trusty Lockpicks failed to open in the first place.
- When used on a Synergy Chest, a random item or gun will spawn.
The Drill is without a doubt the most valuable PAYDAY 2 item in virtue of its ability to unlock most chests in the Gungeon. As you might already know, chests can contain powerful guns and items when opened in the Gungeon. And since most of these chests cannot be opened without acquiring keys, most chests are generally inaccessible, leaving you no choice but to find a key to unlock chests around the Gungeon.
The ability to open almost all chests you encounter after clearing a manageable challenge is almost always worth the risk, as the reward you can potentially get from these chests could very well be your key to endgame dominance in Enter the Gungeon.